Titles as suggestive of nature and vocation.
1. "Power of the Highest." Luke 1:35.
2. "Spirit of the Lord God." Isaiah 61:1.
3. "Spirit of the Father." Matt. 10:20.
4. "Spirit of Christ." Rom. 8:9; 1 Peter 1:11.
5. "Spirit of Life." Rom. 8:2.
6. "Spirit of adoption." Rom. 8:15.
7. "Spirit of wisdom." Eph. 1:17.
8. "Spirit of might." Isaiah 11:2.
9. "Spirit of understanding." Isaiah 11:2.
10. "Spirit of truth." John 14:17, 15:26.
11. "Spirit of holiness." Rom. 1:4.
12. "Spirit of revelation." Eph. 1:17.
13. "Spirit of Judgment." Isaiah 4:4, 28:6.
14. "Spirit of Glory." 1 Peter 4:14.
Some symbols and types of the Holy Spirit. Oil, Water, Dove,
Abraham's servant, Joseph's interpreter, Wind, Pillar of Cloud, Dew,
Fire, Seal, Clothing, Light.
The Holy Spirit and Christ.
1. His Birth. Matt. 1:18.
2. His Baptism. Matt. 3:16.
3. His Temptation. Luke 4:1, 14.
4. His Resurrection. Rom. 8:11.
5. The Witness to Him through the ages. John 15:26, 16:8-11, 13, 14.
The Holy Spirit and the Believer.
Every believer is born of the Holy Spirit.
Every believer is indwelt by the Holy Spirit.
Every believer is sealed by the Holy Spirit.
Every believer should be filled by the Holy Spirit.
Every believer should be led by the Holy Spirit.
Every believer should be anointed by the Holy Spirit.
Every believer should be taught by the Holy Spirit.
Every believer should walk in the Holy Spirit.
The Holy Spirit bears witness within to our Sonship.
The Holy Spirit forms Christ within the believer.
The Believer must pray, return thanks, worship in the Holy Spirit.
The Holy Spirit enables the believer to put to death the deeds
(works) of the flesh.
The Holy Spirit baptises the believer into the Body of Christ.
The Holy Spirit exercises the ministry of "Advocate," "Intercessor,"
within the believer.
The Holy Spirit is the strengthener with all might in the believer.
The Holy Spirit and the Church.
The Church is formed by the Holy Spirit.
The Church is united by the Holy Spirit.
The Church is governed by the Holy Spirit.
The Church is qualified by the Holy Spirit.
The Holy Spirit sends certain members forth to specific service,
bearing witness to them and to the Church.
The Holy Spirit rests upon the Church as anointing upon the Body of
Christ, not upon individual believers as such.
The Church's ministry and the Holy Spirit.
The Cross is the Spirit's instrument in conviction of sin.
The Cross is the Spirit's agent in salvation.
The Cross is the theme of the Spirit-inspired preacher.
The Church and its members depend upon the Holy Spirit for ability
to hear, receive, assimilate, and transmit the word and truth of
The Holy Spirit in the Old Testament is revealed as -
The Divine Agent in Creation.
Acting upon conscience universally.
Especially concerned and associated with an elect nation.
Enabling men to receive and pass on Divine revelation.
Especially endowing certain people for Divine service.
Preparing the world for Christ.
Sins against the Holy Spirit.
We propose that the above should be a subject of study and that the
references where left out should be filled in by the reader.
First published in "A Witness and A Testimony" magazine, June, 1928, Vol. 6-6